Siren Call

I should've given myself up
To the free fall of gravity.
They don't tell you of the violence,
That the force of nature holds.
You only know it on the brink,
When you stare into its maw,
And vertigo washes over you
To beckon toward your doom.
I ran forward for the leap,
Only to hold back at the edge.
This cannot be the right place;
The outcrops are in my way.
I stumbled where I'd stopped,
And tumbled over the rocks.
I never made it to the waves,
And lay broken at their shore.
Once you stand at that height,
There's only one way left to go.
Leap forth as far as you can,
If ever you lift your soul at all.
Let there be enough time now,
Before the ebb whisks you away.
Let me glimpse you on the surface,
And I'll find you at world's end.
The wind shifts—I hear your call.
The fog clears before my eyes,
Now I see I never understood
Just how endless the ocean is.
I thought that I would lose myself,
As if I were ever mine to lose.
All they ever told me was a lie;
You never needed to take over.
I won't be cast upon the rocks,
If I don't turn back their way.
You don't lead toward the shore,
But farther out into the depths.
't Must be the world that's rising,
For it doesn't feel as if I fall.
Let the waves spread over me,
And sweep all I was away.

No comments:

Post a Comment