Wandering Birds

When I wake up it takes me a while to remember where I am. In the darkness I could be anywhere, and imagine myself in various places before as I drift between dream and reality. The amnesia feels pleasant, full of possibility.
I have been staying with so many people I met on my way that I only remember when I feel fully awake that I am in the commune in Girona. After it was bought for public use through crowdfunding, it has become a popular stop for travelers from Europe and beyond into what has become considered by many the birthplace of anarchism. Me, I just came here wandering around. I lived in Barcelona, but after a falling out with my parents forced me to move out of the apartment they had rented for me, I decided to move from one commune to another trying to find out if there's anything to all the talk about it.
What I noticed is that the farther away I went from Barcelona, the more worthwhile my time in the communes became, on account of there being less of the pilgrims, most of them millennials, that came here from recently developed countries still in the throes of their nihilist era, looking for some sort of answer in their belated postmodern era, like adolescents in an identity crisis.
I look at one of them hugging his knees on his pad, staring into space. He doesn't seem to see me, perhaps because of the dreadlocks hanging before his eyes. They're still waiting for a revolution, too out of it to realize it has already happened. But they were expecting something extraordinary, an apocalypse as it were, for the heavens to burst open and God to show themself and separate good and evil. It does have something in common with creationism, the idea of creating something out of nothing rather than from what came before. But what really happened was that like all of us they were given a chance to find their values, and for those that did not take it, nothing happened.
click to show/hide more

No comments:

Post a Comment