Rocking my Cage

With all my might I slam into the bars,
But the steel doesn't even groan.
I can never hate you enough,

As long as it won’t break these bars.
It does no more than rock the cage,
And I just turn it over and over
To feel at its every corner,
For any fatigue in the metal.
And so I move myself forward,
As if it makes me any more free.
I always leave a trail in the dirt.
They're looking on not far behind.
If any judge had put me here,
I'd swear I would kill him,
But the cells of my own body
Are what makes up my cell.
I cannot emerge the victor, from
A fight to death with myself.
Anywhere I turn gets me no further,
No further away from myself.
Wherever I go I will run back into,
The one thing I want to get away from.
For it follows me wherever I go,
For it is me, the limitations of a self.
I look out from the bars
Into the night outside.
But still see my reflection
In the waters beyond.
Be my cage nicer than others',
I will break it all the same.
I'd raise the city to the ground,
To never see its insides again.
I'd rather become one with the wind,
Though it freeze me to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment