Achilles' Hubris (All or Nothing)

I know now how Achilles could die,
From a mere arrow to his heel.
He did not die in that battle,
But in the aftermath back home.
For his was a life without restraint,
And there was no other life for him.
That life had hung by a thread,
And became his thread of life.
Would but you Fates above
Cut right down the middle,
Not start down the ends
And cut little by little.
I've never feared any pain,
When I made it past your walls,
Only to be kept from moving,
As penalty for my being there.
I have besieged you for years,
To fight off all resistance.
To be neighbors is not enough,
If you'll close your gates to me.
Strife's just one more part of life;
Why should I have regrets?
I only did what I had to do,
To act out what I feel inside.
The arrow plugs my flesh,
As long as it's there lodged,
So I will bear it in my wound,
Till hands are pressed thereon.
But fie that now this body
Won't carry me any further!
Just let me keep on going,
For am I not invulnerable?
But only in our dreams,
Is naught of consequence.
What won't partake in them,
Only resist us in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment